NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Gain a deep understanding of how India nurtures its vibrant, traditional medicine systems while experiencing economic growth and modernization.
WHY STUDY IN INDIA?
From bustling New Delhi to the quiet grandeur of the Himalaya, explore India’s ancient and traditional health systems. These include the vitally important practices of Ayurveda, traditional Tibetan (Amchi), folk medicine, yoga, and naturopathy. On this journey, learn about the social, economic, and cultural paradigms that provide a context for healthcare in India. During a 10-day stay in the Himalaya, home to many of India’s rich botanical resources, see how mountain communities’ healthcare systems are affected by climate change, globalization, development and sustainability efforts. Compare traditional and allopathic systems, gaining a multidimensional view into healthcare and health delivery among diverse groups including marginalized and indigenous populations. Visit centers of traditional medicine in Delhi and in rural and urban areas in the Himalaya and meet practitioners of traditional and holistic Indian medicine. Travel to Dharamsala, headquarters of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile and where His Holiness the Dalai Lama lives, and receive Tibetan medicine lessons.
- Live with fellow students and a host family in the lakeside town of Nainital.
- Learn concepts of life, death, and treatment in Buddhism and Tibetan medicine.
- Study ancient medicine in Delhi and rural communities of the Indian Himalaya.
- Explore health practices in Dharamsala’s McLeod Ganj, home of the Dalai Lama.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- Investigate the Himalayas’ repository of medicinal plants and herbs
- Visit Rishikesh, considered the mecca for yoga and meditation
- Learn health practices through mind-body-soul connections
- Explore yoga as a spiritual preventative and curative medicine
- Witness how climate change and globalization affect health outcomes
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
SIT PROGRAM PROTECTION
In these uncertain times, you shouldn’t have to worry about your investment in SIT. Click here
to find out how you’re protected.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD