NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Explore natural energy sources and technology’s impact on the environment and economy in Iceland. Gain hands-on experience developing a renewable energy project.
WHY STUDY IN ICELAND?
With untapped reserves of enough geothermal and hydroelectric energy, Iceland is the perfect place to learn about renewable energy sources and sustainability. You’ll meet with multiple stakeholders connected with the renewable energy sector for a multifaceted view of the country’s energy policy and learn about the latest renewable energy technologies. You’ll also be immersed in Icelandic culture and language and discover Iceland’s untamed landscape from Akureyri, an energy–progressive city at the base of a fjord.
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site at Thingvellir.
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of applied renewable energy technologies.
- Live and study in the capital, Reykjavík, and second largest urban area, Akureyri.
- Explore the Reykjanes peninsula's diversity of volcanic and geothermal activity.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- The geology behind Iceland’s energy resources and sustainable use
- Hydroelectric, geothermal, wind, solar, tidal and biomass energy
- Renewable fuels, resource economics and policy
- Sustainable energy design and implementation within various contexts
- Icelandic language basics
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
SIT PROGRAM PROTECTION
In these uncertain times, you shouldn’t have to worry about your investment in SIT. Click here
to find out how you’re protected.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD