|Additional Program Details:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Areas of Study:||Business, Development Studies, Entrepreneurship, Internship||Program:||Affiliated|
|Language of Instruction:||English, French||Housing Options:||Homestay, Hotel/Hostel|
|Class Eligibility:||2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior||Credit Type:||Pass/Fail|
|Program Type:||Study||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
Morocco: Development and Social Entrepreneurship Internship
Develop an understanding of Morocco’s diverse culture, development policy, and youth engagement in civil society activism and social entrepreneurship while gaining meaningful, practical internship experience in your chosen field.
- Complete a five-week internship with a local community organization, research organization, business, or international NGO.
- Gain professional experience in a supportive environment.
- Reflect on your internship experience.
- SCreate a final project.
- Study French
- Enjoy one long weekend excursion either to Marrakech or Essaouira.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
The internship will introduce you to development policy and implementation in Morocco. Internship placements will mainly be at organizations in Rabat but also in other approved locations in northern and rural Morocco.
Throughout the five-week internship, you will keep a daily journal about your experiences and will have regular sessions with SIT faculty to reflect on your experiences.
In addition, you will submit a paper in which you describe, assess, and analyze what you learned during your internship. The paper will outline the tasks you completed throughout the internship, professional relationships you developed, and challenges you encountered and how you overcame them.
Internship Fields: Development, microfinance, youth, human rights, environment, green energy, education, social work, and social entrepreneurship
- Teaching at a private kindergarten
- Leading workshops teaching practical skills such as sewing and cooking at a youth center
- Teaching English at a private institution that offers a variety of language courses
- Working at a news website dedicated to bringing the news of Morocco to a wide audience without bias or political agenda
- Supporting the working of an organization devoted to educating the public on disabilities and improving opportunities for people with disabilities
- Assisting efforts to increase educational and professional opportunities for women at a women’s center
Key Topics of Study
- The ethics of internship in the context of Morocco
- Adjusting to and working collaboratively in a different culture
- Morocco’s diverse culture, development policy, and social entrepreneurship
- Challenges around youth employment, gender equity, and sustainable development in the context of Morocco
- The role and impact of NGOs and local associations in the promotion of gender equity, sustainable development, literacy, environmental protection, microfinance, and poverty reduction
- Youth engagement, civil society activism, and vibrant cultural activity
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.3 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admission counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2018||03/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||06/18/2018||08/06/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.