Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Semester in Ghana
Cape Coast, Ghana (Outgoing Program)
|Additional Program Details:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for International Studies|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10249Areas of Study:
|African Studies, Biological Sciences, Botany, Business, Computer Science, Culture, Economics, Education, Environmental Studies, History, Linguistics, Marine Science, Music, Political Science, Sociology, Theatre/Drama||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10232Program:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10233Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10235Housing Options:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10236Class Eligibility:
|2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10237Credit Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10241Program Type:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10247Minimum GPA:
Semester in Ghana is based in Cape Coast, Ghana, a beautiful city on the beach. The city is well known for elaborate festivals, bustling markets, and historic castles. You will take classes at the respected University of Cape Coast in addition to exploring the incredible natural landscape all around you. You will experience:
- Diverse, country-specific courses taught in English – Study music, chemistry, history, languages, economics, tourism, and more while also learning about your surroundings with Ghana-focused coursework.
- True cultural immersion – While there are other international students at the University, you’ll be in class with local Ghanaians and will truly learn about their culture when you study abroad in Ghana.
- Fascinating history – As a center of the slave trade for generations, Cape Coast hosted many European colonial powers and there is a meaningful link between it and the United States. You’ll discover many relics from that era.
- Melting pot of cultures – Home to over 100 ethnic groups and nearly 50 ethnic languages, modern Ghana is a tapestry of cultures.Beautiful city right on the coast – Cape Coast is a small, stunning city of palm-lined beaches and lovely ocean views—from the city, from the University, and from your accommodations. Go study for finals on the beach!
- Study in Africa's most prosperous, stable nation – While still developing, Ghana is well-known throughout the world as the first independent sub-Saharan nation and has a strong record of democracy, stability, and increasing socioeconomic standards.
Students who study at the University of Cape Coast (UCC) will not be able register for classes until the arrive in country. Courses offered at UCC often will change or be cancelled at the last minute. This program is best for students who need to fulfill electives and is not recommended for students who need to fulfill requirements for their major or concentration.
As a CIS study abroad student, you’ll get outstanding support. We’re with you every step of the way with academic advising, personal help, and cultural counseling. We’ll make sure you hit the ground running and don’t miss a thing. It can be difficult (and very exciting) jumping into a new culture, but rest assured we will help to make the process as smooth as possible for you. When you arrive in Ghana, an extensive orientation program will introduce you to life in Ghana and at your new University. You will receive the official list of courses from which you will choose for the semester, and you will be registering for these classes within your first few days in Ghana. You will also have many opportunities to meet other international students, take an extensive tour the campus, and get a general feel for your new home in Cape Coast.
|Dates / Deadlines:|