Skip to content

Study Abroad Insurance

In order to protect all students traveling abroad, The University of Texas System has created an umbrella insurance program. All United States citizens, permanent residents of the United States or international students in the United States who are enrolled as students at the University and travelling abroad on a UT System institution study abroad or related educational activity outside his/her Home Country*, including co-curricular and extra-curricular activities done in relation to their scholastic program while outside of the United States and their Home Country* are covered by this program.
All students are automatically enrolled by registering their trip information through MyTrips on the UT System International SOS webpage and must have this insurance as a requirement of studying abroad on a UT Sponsored program.  ALL students traveling internationally on a university-sponsored trip are required to register with International SOS prior to travel.  It is imperative all students use the International SOS MyTrips to ensure coverage is seamless.  Students are responsible for submitting their travel information directly to International SOS online, and information about enrollment and payment procedures is discussed at the mandatory pre-departure orientation meeting.  The cost of the insurance is $19/week.

The Study Abroad Insurance Program is currently underwritten by ACE/Chubb and coordinated with International SOS as the emergency services provider.  The policy brochure is available online: 

Students participating in a UTA Study Abroad program, or other UTA-sponsored program abroad, in Spring 2015 or later are required to have the UT System Study Abroad Insurance regardless of any other insurance they may have, including insurance possibly required by an affiliate study abroad program or a foreign government.

All students are strongly encouraged to maintain their U.S. health insurance coverage in case treatment is necessary upon return to the United States.

*Home Country as defined by this policy is the United States.  If a student traveling to their country of citizenship is an enrolled UTA student participating in a UTA-sponsored program abroad, they are covered by this blanket policy.