Each year, UTA offers several study abroad programs led by UTA faculty in a variety of disciplines and locations. The majority of these programs are 3-6 weeks in length, and are offered during the summer, though winter term and mid-semester programs may be offered. Faculty-led programs are the most popular study abroad options among UTA students, comprising of roughly 70% of all study abroad participants each year.
Developing a new faculty-led program can be a lengthy process, so the earlier you start planning the better. To help facilitate the process, review the Program Development Timeline to get a better understanding of all the steps involved in developing a successful program abroad.
Once you have gained the support of your Department Chair and Dean to lead a program abroad, schedule an appointment with UTA Study Abroad to discuss your plans and next steps in the process. Once the program details have been determined, complete the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal paperwork and submit to the Office of International Education.
- Faculty Program Proposal
- Faculty Program Budget Template (revised).xlsx
- International Oversight Committee Approval (for travel to restricted regions)
UTA Study Abroad is available for support throughout the program development process. Study Abroad staff can develop and manage your application materials, create and distribute advertising for your program across campus, recruit students for your program through info sessions and info tables, and connect you with other UTA faculty and outside resources that can provide guidance and support. Feel free to contact us at anytime throughout the process with questions.
The Forum on Education Abroad’s Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs
Faculty Program Development Workshop – held in Fall 2017. You can view the workshop presentation here: Faculty Workshop Presentation 2017.pdf
- The Facultyled.com Website
- Mobility International's guide to Faculty-led Study Abroad Programs for Students with Disabilities
Many times faculty have their own contacts in the host-country, which makes securing accommodations, classroom space, and local transportation very easy. For faculty who desire logistical support when developing their program, UTA Study Abroad can provide assistance in this area. Below, please find information on affiliated study abroad program providers who offer customized program services for faculty, as well as recommended student travel agencies that work with study abroad programs.
UTA Affiliated Study Abroad Program Providers
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England (UK), France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Russia, South Africa, and Spain
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England (UK), France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Scotland (UK), Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam
- Location: Denmark (Copenhagen) and Stockholm, Sweden
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, England (UK), Fiji, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, and Thailand
- Locations: Italy (Florence, Milan, Rome, & Sicily); also Barcelona, London, and Paris
Locations: Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Cameroon, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Ghana, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Madagascar, Mongolia, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Samoa, Senegal, Serbia/Bosnia/Kosovo, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, and Vietnam
If none of the affiliated study abroad program providers currently affiliated with UTA fit your needs, there are numerous other providers out there that might. Contact UTA Study Abroad for assistance in locating a reputable provider.