Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Semester on the Italian Coast, Sorrento
Sorrento, Italy (Outgoing Program)
|Additional Program Details:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for International Studies|
|Areas of Study:||Anthropology, Archaeology, Art, Art History, Business, Communication, Creative Writing, Culinary Arts, Culture, Earth Sciences, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Studies, European Studies, Film, Geography, Geology, History, International Business, International Studies, Italian, Marine Science, Marketing, Media, Photography, Sociology, Tourism||Program:||Affiliated|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Options:||Apartment, Homestay|
|Class Eligibility:||2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior||Credit Type:||Pass/Fail|
|Program Type:||Study||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
Located just 20 miles south of Naples, Sorrento is the gateway to the Amalfi Coast and can be described as a paradise by the sea. Whether you’re looking to catch the train to Rome, or take a ferry out to the Islands of Capri and Ischia, Sorrento’s location in the temperate Mediterranean climate makes it a desirable year round destination for exploring Italian culture.
Start getting excited about:
- Coastal Mountain Town - The city of Sorrento is situated between the sea and the mountains, providing plenty of opportunities for swimming in the blue-green waters or hiking through the lush hills. Trek through the abundant lemon, orange, and olive groves as well!
- La Vida Local - Students are encouraged to get involved within the local community through a group beach clean up day as well as through several other service-learning opportunities.
- Specialized Courses - The Sant’Anna Institute has a robust offering of Italian language courses to meet you at any level. Not only can you expand your Italian language and history, but you will also have the opportunity to take unique courses in the Natural Sciences, like Volcanology
- Perfect opportunity to practice your Italian skills – From living in a local homestay with a Spanish host or chatting with locals at the numerous seaside cafés, the Semester on the Italian Coast program in Sorrento is designed to immerse you completely in the Italian language and give you a taste of what living in Italy is all about!
Semester on the Italian Coast, Sorrento offers two 14-week semesters, beginning in August, and January. You can easily find a semester that fits with your study abroad schedule. During your stay at the Sant'Anna Institute you will be captivated by the views of the Marina Grande and Amalfi Coast. Founded in 1998, Sant'Anna Institute is a private institute accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education and by Alfred State, SUNY College of Technology. The root of all courses is the experiential learning model. Courses range from studio art and art history, to lectures in business strategies and communications, and in-depth language and cultural courses.
As a CISabroad student, you’ll get outstanding support throughout the experience. We’re with you every step of the way with academic advising, personal help, and cultural counseling. We’ll make sure that when you arrive in Spain you start your journey right, by having a CISabroad staff member meet you at the airport and bring you to your accommodations.
Once settled into beautiful Sorrento, regarded as a paradise by locals, let your wanderlust take hold. Whether it's a weekend getaway to the quaint city of Campania or you're looking to catch the train to Rome, Sorrento is an ideal location for exploring Italian culture. After we help you acclimate to the Mediterranean lifestyle and orient you to the city, you'll have the confidence to roam the city like a local.
If you've always wanted to study abroad in Italy, we've got a lot of reasons to study on our Semester on the Italian Coast, Sorrento program. Here are just a few of the key highlights that make this program unique:
- Located in the walkable seaside town of Sorrento
- Numerous beaches and coves at your fingertips
- Discover miles of hiking and trekking along the Amalfi Coast
- Easy access to both the Northern cities of Florence and Rome, or the historically rich southern islands of Sardinia and Sicily
- Courses taught in Italian and English
- Civic Engagement and Service Learning Opportunities
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2018||03/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed