Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Semester in Japan
Kyoto, Japan (Outgoing Program)
|Additional Program Details:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for International Studies|
|Areas of Study:||Culture, Economics, English, History, Japanese Language, Math||Program:||Affiliated|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Japanese Language||Housing Options:||Apartment|
|Class Eligibility:||2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior||Credit Type:||Pass/Fail|
|Program Type:||Study||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
If you've always wanted to study abroad in Japan, we've got a lot of reasons to study on our Semester in Japan program. For a small island country, Japan offers a fascinating combination of old and new from the extremely modern skyscraper strewn cities, to traditional temples and remote villages where life looks much like it did centuries ago. While studying at The Kyoto University of Foreign Studies you will be living in a photographer's dream city. Kyoto, conveniently located just a 25 minute train ride away from the city of Osaka, gives students the best of both worlds - the deep history, culture, and traditions of Kyoto, and some of the best shopping and nightlife in the world in Osaka.
Here are some things to expect while on this unique program:
- Modern Tradition - Considered to be the cultural capital of Japan, Kyoto is an incredible combination of tradition and history with all the conveniences of a modern city. Kyoto is situated in a valley, surrounded on three sides by mountains. City life is just a short train ride away if you wish to visit the equivalent of Japan’s ‘Times Square.’
- Language & Culture - This program offers you the opportunity to learn Japanese language and gain knowledge of Japan and its people in a supportive academic environment.
- La Vida Local - Every day in Kyoto will present lots of opportunity for cultural engagement, learning, and adventure. During orientation, you will visit two UNESCO world heritage sites that will bring the rich history of the Kyoto area to life.
The Kyoto University of Foreign Studies is located in the heart of Kyoto. Kyoto is a magnificent city with amazing cultural treasures unlike any other city in the world. Kyoto has been home to samurai, shogun, the imperial family, monks, and masters and all of them have left their mark on the city. Ancient temples, pagodas, shrines, and castles are the backdrop for the Semester in Japan program. Each year over 80 students from around the world study Japanese Culture and Language together at KUFS. These students come from all over the world and they contribute to the dynamic KUFS environment through bringing their own unique cultural perspectives to the campus.
Here are just a few of the key highlights that make this program unique:
- Live in a young, active city where 10% of the population are college students
- Explore new & old traditions in the “cultural capital” of Japan
- Learn one of the world’s most important languages in an immersive setting
- Excursions to Osaka, Kobe, an Onsen, and Nara, as well as day trips around Kyoto
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2018||03/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed