Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Summer in Peru
Cusco, Peru (Outgoing Program)
|Additional Program Details:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Center for International Studies|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Areas of Study:||Architecture, Art, Art History, Culture, History, International Studies, Linguistics, Photography, Sociology, Spanish||Program:||Affiliated|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Housing Options:||Apartment, Homestay|
|Credit Type:||Pass/Fail||Program Type:||Study|
Qosq’o—that’s the Quecha name for Cusco—is the center of modern indigenous culture in Peru, so you’ll learn a ton about South America outside of the classroom. Join Summer in Peru at 11,500 feet in an incredible city with a vibrant culture. Start getting excited about:
Study Spanish in the Andes – The way to learn Spanish is to immerse yourself in it, and that’s just what you’ll do on Summer in Cusco!
The impressive Sacred Valley – Imagine a region filled with stunning mountain views, Quechua-speaking communities, and llamas. On the weekends, you’ll get to explore this diverse region’s salt flats, market towns, ancient ruins, and more. It’s all a short, inexpensive trip from downtown Cusco. See it all on your summer abroad in Peru!
Machu Picchu – This famous site that was recently picked as one of the Seven New Wonders of the World. Come discover why!
- A colonial city filled with history – Cusco is full of pre-Hispanic and colonial history, which often overlap in fascinating ways. Churches built on pre-Inca spiritual sites, European-esque paintings of the Last Supper that include Andean regional cuisine, and leafy Spanish-style plazas atop Incan stone that make Cusco one of the most dynamic cities in Peru.
On Summer in Peru, you will study at a Cusco-based satellite campus of the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, a well-known Peruvian university. The university’s vision represents the academic experience you will have: to be a leader in producing professionals with a high level of quality and ethics according to national and international standards. Experienced faculty combine theoretical concepts with case studies to "develop a culture of assessment, innovation and continuous improvement." Student-faculty interaction is key to the university’s success—and yours.
Summer in Peru offers 2 study options: you can focus on your Spanish in the Spanish Immersion Program, or you can take a Spanish-language course and a Peru-focused course taught in English. All levels of Spanish, from beginner to advanced, can be accommodated. A placement test taken when you arrive in Peru will determine the best language course for you. The classes are highly interactive, and the field trips built into the curriculum will help you gain a true understanding and appreciation of this magnificent area.
- Beautiful Sacred Valley with ruins, market towns, mountain hiking, and more
- Study Spanish in the Andes: Spanish-language courses at all levels
- Exceptional housing options: apartments with other participants or a homestay with a local family
- Students from around the world
- Classes in diverse subjects in English
- Superb university
- Strong on-site support from the University staff
- Great, inexpensive Andean cuisine, including local specialty cuy (guinea pig!)
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2018||03/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.