International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS)
Click HERE to apply.
Spring Semester: September 1st - November 1st
Fall Semester and Academic Year: February 1st - April 1st
*The information on this page applies to incoming exchange students only. If you are a UTA student applying to study abroad, please review the IEFS application for outgoing UTA students.
The 1991 Texas Legislature passed legislation enabling each Texas state-supported institution to charge a $1 per student fee to support opportunities to study abroad. The University of Texas at Arlington chose to establish the International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS) by adding $1 to each UTA student's fee bill beginning in Spring 1992. All monies collected are used only to assist students participating in international exchange or study programs.
The scholarship is competitive and is based on financial need and academic merit.
Incoming exchange student applicants must be accepted to attend UTA as an exchange student to be eligible for the IEFS Scholarship. Degree-seeking international students attending UTA are not eligible.
Recipients should be willing to represent UTA Study Abroad while at UTA and upon return to their home campus.
Scholarship amounts will be based upon financial need, academic merit and length of intended study at UTA.
All application instructions can be found on the online application form. Required application materials include:1. Online Application Form
2. Financial information
a) In order to assess your need-level for funding to study at UTA, please provide an essay of no more than 500 words describing your current financial situation. You may include information on your financial aid/loan history, employment history, and/or family circumstances.
3. Two recommendations are required.
a) Academic recommendations are strongly preferred.
b) Recommendations should be submitted online through the online application system. If needed, recommenders may also mail recommendations to the International Education Fee Scholarship Committee, c/o Office of International Education, Box 19028. If mailed, all recommendations must be in individual sealed envelopes with the recommender's signature across the envelope's seal.
All portions of the application must be received by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Inquiries may be directed to the Office of International Education in the Swift Center by phone at 817-272-1120 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IEFS - FAQs
How much are the scholarship awards?
- The amounts are decided on an individual basis by the IEFS Committee. There is no set amount. However, the IEFS is not intended to finance an entire study abroad. Candidates should be able to fund at least half of their study abroad program or more to be considered for an award.
What are my chances for getting an award?
- The IEFS is a competitive scholarship. As such, the number of applicants, which varies from competition to competition, greatly affects a student's chances. It really depends on where you stand in relation to the other applicants.
When and how will I know if I received an award?
- The Committee tries to have results ready within three weeks of the application deadline. A letter will be sent to you through the online system as soon as the committee has made its decision telling you whether or not you received an award.
Can I apply for the IEFS before I've been accepted to study at UTA?
- No. In order to be eligible for the IEFS scholarship, you must have already been accepted to study at UTA by the UTA Study Abroad Office. This means that the UTA Study Abroad Office must receive your exchange application early enough to process in time for you to complete the IEFS application by the deadline. We recommend submitting your exchange application materials at least 4 weeks before the IEFS deadline in order to be officially accepted as an exchange student in time.
If I receive a scholarship, when will I receive my money?
- Awards are disbursed no earlier than ten days prior to the start of class at UTA in the semester for which you received your award. The scholarship award will be added directly to your MyMav student account.