Faculty-led Study Abroad Programs
Each year, UT Arlington offers several study abroad programs led by UT Arlington faculty in a variety of disciplines and locations. The majority of these programs are 3-6 weeks in length offered during the summer, though wintersession and spring break programs can also be arranged. Faculty-led programs are the most popular study abroad options among UT Arlington students, comprising of roughly 70% of all study abroad participants each year.
Developing a new faculty-led program can be a lengthy process, so the earlier you start planning the better. To help facilitate the process, review the Program Development Timeline to get a better understanding of all the steps involved in developing a successful program abroad.
Once you have gained the support of your Department Chair and Dean to lead a program abroad, schedule an appointment with the Study Abroad Office to discuss your plans and next steps in the process. Once the program details have been determined, complete the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Proposal paperwork and submit to the Office of International Education.
- Faculty Program Budget Template (revised).xlsx
- International Oversight Committee Approval (for travel to restricted regions)
- Faculty Program Publicity Template
The Study Abroad Office is available for support throughout the program development process. Study Abroad staff can develop and manage your application materials, create and distribute advertising for your program across campus, recruit students for your program through info sessions and info tables, and connect you with other UTA faculty and outside resources that can provide guidance and support. Feel free to contact us at anytime throughout the process with questions.
The Forum on Education Abroad’s Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs
Faculty Program Development Workshop – held in Fall 2014. You can view the workshop presentation here: Faculty Workshop Presentation Nov 2014 FINAL.pdf
UTA Faculty Mentors – faculty who have led several successful short-term programs abroad over the years. These faculty members can be a tremendous resource when developing your first program.
- The Facultyled.com Website
- Mobility International's guide to Faculty-led Study Abroad Programs for Students with Disabilities
Many times faculty have their own contacts in the host-country, which makes securing accommodations, classroom space, and local transportation very easy. For faculty who desire logistical support when developing their program, the Study Abroad Office can provide assistance in this area. Below, please find information on affiliated study abroad program providers who offer customized program services for faculty, as well as recommended student travel agencies that work with study abroad programs.
UT Arlington Affiliated Study Abroad Program Providers
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England (UK), France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Russia, South Africa, and Spain
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England (UK), France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Nnorway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Scotland (UK), Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam
- Location: Denmark (Copenhagen)
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, England (UK), Fiji, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, and Thailand
- Locations: Italy (Florence, Milan, Rome, & Sicily); also Barcelona, London, and Paris
- Locations: Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Cameroon, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Ghana, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Madagascar, Mongolia, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Samoa, Senegal, Serbia/Bosnia/Kosovo, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, and Vietnam
If none of the affiliated study abroad program providers currently affiliated with UT Arlington fit your needs, there are numerous other providers out there that might. Contact the UT Arlington Study Abroad Office for assistance in locating a reputable provider.
Student Travel Agencies
- UTA students can also take advantage of STA Travel's Airfare Deposit Program