Volunteer & Teach Abroad
Volunteer AbroadOverseas volunteer placements are an ideal opportunity to immerse yourself in a foreign culture while at the same time giving back to the local community that has welcomed you. Many UTA reciprocal exchange programs and affiliated programs offer volunteer and community service opportunities for students to participate while attending a traditional study abroad program. Contact the UTA Study Abroad Office or the affiliated program provider for your program to learn about available volunteer opportunities.
UTA also offers stand alone volunteer programs that range from one week in length up to a full semester or more. The majority of these programs are non-credit bearing. Students who are interested in participating in a volunteer placement that is not credit-bearing may be able to work with their academic department to enroll in an independent study course at UTA during their volunteer placement to receive credit.
Affiliated Program OpportunitiesVolunteer opportunities can be arranged on most UTA study abroad programs. The list below are programs that offer stand alone programs without formal classroom instruction.
- ISA - Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Peru
- GoAbroad.com - Volunteer Abroad
- Cross-Cultural Solutions
- Global Crossroads
- Global Volunteer Network
- Peace Corps
Teach AbroadTeaching abroad can be a great opportunity for recent graduates who are looking for an adventure and a chance to expand their resumes. The most common overseas opportunities are to teach English to non-native speakers. Most of these positions do not require TEFL certification or teaching experience. Most positions do, however, require that you hold at least a Bachelor's degree and be a native English speaker.
When exploring overseas teaching positions offered through program providers, be sure you understand exactly what services are provided within the cost. Some common services provided are visa support, orientation and training, insurance, accommodation and roundtrip airfare. Teaching positions should also come with a specified salary, or living stipend, per month of service.
Teach Abroad Resources
- CIEE - teaching opportunities in Chile, China, Dominican Republic, South Korea, Spain and Thailand
- WorldTeach - summer, semester and year long placements in American Samoa, Chile, China, Columbia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guyana, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Namibia, Poland, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania and Thailand
- LanguageCorps - English teaching opportunities around the globe, including: Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam.
- JET - internationally recognized and competitive, teaching opportunity in Japan
- Fulbright - sponsored by the US Department of State, the Fulbright program offers teaching placements across the globe
- Diversity Abroad - teach abroad programs for diverse ethnicities
- TEFL - database of English language teaching jobs
- English Program in Korea (EPIK) and Teach and Learn in Korea (TALK) - sponsored by the Korean Ministry of Education
- GoAbroad.com - Teach Abroad - a searchable database of current teaching positions overseas. It is important that you investigate the legitimacy of each posting before committing to a program or paying any fees.